- Antibody Production
Serum-free Cell Culture Media for Antibody Production
Production of Therapeutic Antibodies in Animal-Free, Serum-Free Cell Culture
Common cell lines used to produce antibodies for research and downstream clinical applications include hybridoma, Chinese hamster ovary (CHO) cells, HEK293t, and others. Like all cultured mammalian cells, these must be maintained in media supplemented with critical extracellular proteins like transferrin for iron management, insulin for nutrient uptake, and albumin to support optimal cellular health and growth.
Cell cultures used for biomanufacturing of antibodies destined for therapeutic applications must be scalable and meet rigorous cGMP and regulatory standards for manufacturing quality, safety, performance, consistency, and efficiency. The undefined and variable composition of traditional cell-culture supplements like bovine serum albumin (BSA) and fetal bovine serum (FBS) introduce potential concerns about safety, supply, scalability, and compliance.
InVitria offers fully recombinant human serum protein supplements and chemically defined media for regulatory-friendly, serum-reduced or serum-free culture of hybridomas, CHO, HEK293t and other immortalized cell lines in traditional and batch culture. All products are manufactured biosynthetically in the US, using recombinant DNA technology in an animal-free host, in an ISO 9001:2015 certified facility. These products are suitable for RUO and cGMP uses and enable the reduction or elimination of serum, serum-purified proteins, and serum-derived contaminants from cell culture media at any scale.
InVitria’s products applicable to antibody manufacturing:
- Reduce or eliminate the introduction of animal-derived, viral RNA and DNA, prion proteins, undefined antigenic molecules, and animal-derived cytokines and hormones.
- Provide better, more consistent, more scalable cell growth and performance in culture, and more dependable manufacturing yield, product validation, and clinical safety of downstream clinical products.
- Eliminate concerns about the fluctuating global supply chain and limitations on availability of bovine serum.
Animal-Free, Serum-Free Cell Culture Components and Supplements:
- Cellastim S recombinant human albumin to replace BSA or purified human albumin in cell culture.
- Optiferrin recombinant human transferrin for managing iron in serum-free or serum-reduced culture applications.
- Insulin-transferrin supplements provide supplemental rh-insulin rh-transferrin, and selenium, with or without ethanolamine and rh-albumin for serum-free or serum-reduced culture applications.
- Exbumin excipient-grade recombinant human albumin to stabilize therapeutic antibodies throughout production and in final formulation.
OptiPEAK Media Optimization Services
InVitria offers the experience and know-how to help you supplement your media of choice with its full line of animal-free, serum-free, recombinant individual cell-culture components. Our Product Applications team is ready to help you build a serum-reduced or chemically defined medium optimized to your application.
InVitria Custom Media Formulation Services
Have specific needs or proprietary cell line? To learn more about transitioning your antibody production system to complete, chemically defined, serum-free media, contact us or follow the link to InVitria’s Custom Media Formulation services page.
These products are recommended for use with most cultured eukaryotic cell types, including:
- Hybridoma cells
- Chinese hamster ovary
- Other immortalized and primary cell lines
At a Glance: InVitria Product for Antibody Production:
|Name||Function||Recombinant||Human sequence||Animal Free||Blood Free||IgG Free||Available grades|
|Individual Cell Culture Components|
|Cellastim S||Animal-free, serum-free recombinant human albumin to replace BSA and FBS in serum-free or serum-reduced cell culture.||✅||✅||✅||✅||✅||RUO
|Optiferrin||Animal-free, serum-free recombinant human transferrin for iron nutrition and management in serum-free or serum-reduced culture applications.||✅||✅||✅||✅||✅||cGMP|
|ITS, ITSE, ITSE+A Insulin-Transferrin Supplements||Provides supplemental rh-insulin rh-transferrin, and selenium, with or without ethanolamine and rh-albumin for serum-free or serum-reduced culture applications.||✅||✅||✅||✅||✅||cGMP|
|Exbumin||Excipient-grade, animal-free, serum-free recombinant human albumin to improve antibody stability throughout the production process. Exbumin is approved for use as an excipient in injectable therapeutics.||✅||✅||✅||✅||✅||cGMP|
|Defined, Complete Cell-Culture Media Solutions|
|Media Optimization and Custom Media Formulation Services||InVitria’s Product Application Specialists have the knowledge and experience to help you build a custom, scalable, serum-free or reduced-serum solution to meet the needs of your specific combination of cell type, antibody, and biomanufacturing process.||✅||✅||✅||✅||✅||RUO
|OptiPEAK HEK293t Complete||Serum-free or serum-reduced HEK293t culture for antibody production.||✅||✅||✅||✅||✅||RUO